Attornies or Attorneys: Which is correct? The correct plural spelling of “attorney” is “attorneys.” Because of the vowel before the final letter, this word doesn’t follow the rule of “-y” words turning to “-ies” when pluralized.
How do you spell attorneys?
Correct spelling for the English word “Attorneys” is [ɐtˈɜːniz], [ɐtˈɜːniz], [ɐ_t_ˈɜː_n_i_z] (IPA phonetic alphabet).
What is the plural word for attorney?
at·tor·ney | ə-ˈtər-nē plural attorneys.
How do you use the word attorney?
- [S] [T] I’m an attorney. ( CK)
- [S] [T] I want an attorney. ( CK)
- [S] [T] I’m Tom’s attorney. ( CK)
- [S] [T] I called my attorney. ( CK)
- [S] [T] Does Tom have an attorney? ( CK)
- [S] [T] Could you find me an attorney? ( CK)
- [S] [T] I suggest you call an attorney. ( CK)
- [S] [T] He trusted his defense attorney. ( CM)
How do you write attorney in a sentence?
Attorney sentence example
- Unfortunately, my attorney thinks they have a pretty good case. …
- The young attorney was always well prepared, and the police appreciated how tenaciously he pursued his cases. …
- “I have a friend who’s an attorney ,” Dean said, on the spur of the moment.
Why are lawyers spelled?
The correct plural spelling of “attorney” is “attorneys.” Because of the vowel before the final letter, this word doesn’t follow the rule of “-y” words turning to “-ies” when pluralized.
What is the origin of the word attorney?
The word attorney comes from French meaning ‘one appointed or constituted’ and the word’s original meaning is of a person acting for another as an agent or deputy.
Is Attorney a proper noun?
Normally, the word “lawyer” is not capitalized in a sentence unless it is being used in a title, is part of a proper noun, or is the first word in a sentence. … The same goes for any related words to a lawyer such as “Esquire,” “Justice,” “Attorney,” “Judge,” etc.
What is Attorney mean?
a person who has the legal right to act for someone else: You may appoint an attorney to act on your behalf. See also. district attorney.
What is the definition of attorney in fact?
Definition. An agent authorized to act on behalf of another person, but not necessarily authorized to practice law, e.g. a person authorized to act by a power of attorney. An attorney in fact is a fiduciary. Also known as attorney in fact or private attorney.
Is an attorney higher than a lawyer?
An attorney is considered the official name for a lawyer in the United States. … An attorney has passed the bar exam and has been approved to practice law in his jurisdiction. Although the terms often operate as synonyms, an attorney is a lawyer but a lawyer is not necessarily an attorney.
What is the difference between a lawyer and an attorney?
“Generally speaking, an attorney, or attorney-at-law, is a person who is a member of the legal profession. An attorney is qualified and licensed to represent a client in court. … A lawyer, by definition, is someone who is trained in the field of law and provides advice and aid on legal matters.
What is another name for attorney?
- (or counsellor),
- legal eagle.
What is lawyer sentence?
(1) A lawyer is a professional man. (2) The lawyer proved the innocence of his client. (3) Her lawyer made a statement outside the court. (4) We employed a lawyer to straighten our legal tangle. (5) Her lawyer seemed very knowledgeable and experienced.
How do you use defense attorney in a sentence?
defense attorney in a sentence
- Defense attorney Steven Cron said Poundstone was happy to go home.
- Ugbo said all the suspects would be entitled to defense attorneys.
- Defense attorneys did not comment about the shift in the jury.
- Defense attorneys say there is insufficient evidence to convict their client.
- Defense attorney Johnnie Cochran Jr .
How can I use lawyer in a sentence?
A lawyer with a legal advocacy group said the appeal is a misuse of taxpayers’ money. Lee apparently had enough money to hire an expensive white lawyer and served only a short jail term. His vulnerability, his emotions are those of the wily and ingenuous country lawyer.