Mold has been around since the dawn of time and most people only think of it as a nuisance that ruins bread and leftovers in the refrigerator. Not all mold is seriously dangerous, but some strains can be toxic. When they grow within the walls and floors of a home or business, they can cause severe and even permanent health effects on people who are exposed to them. There are three types of mold that can be very dangerous for people:
- Stachybotrys – This bold strain also called SC is considered to be the most dangerous of the toxic molds. It works like a poison and can be deadly. It has actually led to death in infants and elderly people. It has also caused sickness in otherwise healthy adults.
- Aspergillus – This type of toxic mold generally causes allergy like symptoms but can lead to life threatening infections. The mold will actually start growing within the lungs and cause permanent damage and can even cause death.
- Penicillium – While in some forms, this mold can be used as antibiotics, it can still be dangerous when growing indoors. It works as a carcinogen in the liver, nervous system, and kidneys. It can be a serious threat to humans.
Symptoms of Toxic Mold
Often, toxic mold exposure is misdiagnosed as other types of illnesses. That’s because the symptoms can closely mimic others things. However, if left untreated, exposure to toxic mold on a regular basis can lead to lifelong symptoms and even death. Symptoms of toxic mold exposure are broken up into three categories starting with minor and then moving up to major:
- Category 1: Common Minor Symptoms
- Sneezing, redness of the skin, watery eyes, headache, itchy skin
- Category 2: Advanced Symptoms
- Major headaches, nose bleeds, nausea, breathing problems, appetite loss, skin rashes and sores, memory loss, nervous conditions, swollen glands, ear infections, bronchitis, and joint pain
- Category 3: Late Stage Toxic Mold Exposure
- Blindness, long-term memory loss, cancer, extreme lung damage, brain damage, and death
Most people don’t realize that toxic mold exposure can really be this dangerous. However, repeat exposure can lead to extremely severe conditions.
The Home Problem
If you purchase a new home or you are renting a property in San Diego, you could be exposed to toxic mold without even knowing it. That’s because mold tends to form in areas that you cannot see, like within the walls, in the ceiling, or under carpets. Mold can spread very quickly and feeds off of building materials. At times, it becomes so bad that the building must be destroyed. At other times, it can be remediated. In any case, someone who has been exposed to toxic mold may suffer severe health problems that last for the rest of their lives. Mold is a very serious matter and it has to be handled carefully for legal reasons. Not all mold is considered dangerous and not all situations are actionable. However, if the building owner was aware of a toxic mold problem and did nothing to rectify the situation, then there could be action taken. Other factors in mold litigation can have to do with water damage or the lack of water damage in mold growth. There is so much that must be considered that any victim absolutely must choose an experienced attorney. If you or a loved one has been a victim of toxic mold exposure, then you need an attorney who has experience with mold litigation. Contact the mold attorneys at Thompson | Wedeking for a case evaluation today so that we can help you determine if your case is actionable.